These Ordains contain the full rules and responsibilities of our members and participants.
The Ordains of MoonPath CUUPS Fort Lauderdale
Ordains are more guidelines than hard core rules; Ordains allow for a bit more flexibility.
Ours is a continual “work in progress” and as of April 1, 2019, our three areas of focus are: Internal, Leadership and External.
- We strive to keep peace with our Host congregation.
- We acknowledge that we are in sympathy with the CUUPS Mission and Vision and the UUA Principles and Purposes and support our Host Congregation with financial donations and do volunteer work when possible. The MoonPath CUUPs Chapter has its own governance structure and covenant as outlined in these Ordains.
- We hold ONE open ritual for each of the eight (8) Sabbats plus a yearly Yemaya ritual to celebrate the New Year.
- We may also hold classes and by invitation only rituals at the discretion of the leadership team.
- We hold a weekly Thursday evening study and social group for adults. We begin the program at 7:30 PM and usually end no later than 10 PM.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by an adult if they attend a Thursday evening group or an open ritual and are the responsibility of the parent. If a child is disruptive to the group, the parent may be asked not to bring the child in the future.
- There may be times, dependent on the subject matter, that no one under 18 years of age may be admitted. If and when this is the case, it will be announced before the night of the actual event.
- We tolerate NO use of illegal substances and permit NO nudity.
- Ritualistic weapons must be used with due care to prevent injury to self or others.
- If we use wine during a ritual, we will also include a non-alcoholic alternative.
- We serve as a steppingstone for aspirants referred by covens. We are entry point, and as such, teach no one path or tradition. We seek, instead, to learn and grow from the interaction which develops through the sharing of various paths, traditions and ideas.
- Attendance is optional. Personal responsibility is EXPECTED.
- We charge no dues, however, we “pass the cauldron” every Thursday evening and ask for $2 or more.
- We clean up our own mess.
- We do not provide transportation for minors and respect the responsibilities of their parents.
- Photos or video are allowed by permission only; photographer or videographer must ask for permission or must be asked to take a picture of an individual or individuals. Under no circumstances is picture taking allowed during ritual without the express approval of the ritual leaders, and then only pictures of those with an active role in the ritual are allowed. No pictures may be taken of Circle members or participants. Any pictures taken at CUUPs events are for personal use only and shall not be used professionally or commercially or published in any way other than on the “What’s up at CUUPs” page or website. Photo opportunity area(s) will be provided at each of the all-day festivals and at Samhain. There will be at least (1) poster letting folks know where the photo opportunity area is.
- Disruptive people are not welcome. This includes predatory behavior of any sort and such people will be asked to leave and will be banned from returning to CUPPS for life. Outside of predatory behavior, repeatedly disruptive people may be banned from participating in CUUPs for a period of time or for life. This decision is made solely by the leadership team and is final. A record is kept of these people and passed to the new leadership with a description of why they were banned.
- It is expected, that as adults, participants understand the meaning of the word, “No” and that it does not mean, ask me again later or keep after me in hopes I will give in. Sexual harassment, which is considered a type of predatory behavior will not be tolerated. Anyone exhibiting this type of behavior will be banned from participating in CUUPs for life. This decision is made solely by the leadership team and is final. A record is kept of these people and passed to the new leadership with a description of why they were banned.
- The expectation is that all participants will treat each other with dignity, kindness and respect. People who cannot, may be asked to leave and if behavior is continuous may be banned from CUUPS for a period of time or for life. This decision is made solely by the leadership team and is final. A record is kept of these people and passed to the new leadership with a description of why they were banned.
- We see the Sunday services as a time for all congregation members; we do not insist the service be Pagan oriented or that Pagans attend. However, we may promote pagan oriented services and encourage our community to attend.
- We share a portion of our income with the Host congregation.
- We may do a dollar split with our resource people for a specific event/presentation.
- We hold (3) all day festivals during which we have vendors. We also have vendors at the annual Witch’s Ball. We ask a minimum of 10% of total sales from each of our vendors.
- We perform dedications for those seriously beginning personal study.
- We have an education program under the name of the “Circle of Shadows”. We will honor those who wish it and whom we agree have completed a “Year and a Day of Study” with a ritual that may resemble a traditional “First Degree” initiation, HOWEVER, this is not an official initiation step with CUUPS, nor is it a certification.
- To be more inclusive of all those following any path of an Earth Religion, in public statements we call ourselves Pagans and not Witches.
MoonPath CUUPS Fort Lauderdale Leadership:
- Members of the Leadership team can include individuals who are members of MoonPath CUPPS Fort Lauderdale and Continental CUUPS. Some of CUUPS members are also members of the Host Congregation.
- We currently have a Facilitator and a leadership team of 4-6 additional people who assist the Facilitator, and each will have individual responsibilities. Positions will be filled as required. Positions will be offered by the Facilitator with a 100% consensus of the leadership team.
- The Leadership team generally meets once a quarter and more often as necessary.
- Our facilitator is: Suzette M. Kehrer
- The leadership team is comprised of 5 individuals- (1)- Birch Von Baum, (2)- Genevieve L. Dillon (3)- Karl K. Kauffman (4)- Peter Brown, (5)- Alba S. Kauffman
- Birch Von Baum who attends the Host Congregation will be the first point of contact for the congregation. Any concerns, requests or questions brought up by the Host Congregation will be fielded by Birch Von Baum and will then be addressed with the leadership who as a whole will make a decision as necessary.
- The facilitator keeps minutes of meetings and tracks our money.
- We govern ourselves in a way that is democratic. We strive for consensus; we make tight decisions by majority vote.
- We do not embarrass our Host Congregation
- Press photographers MUST have prior permission and be escorted by one of the members of the leadership team. Any photography by the press must ask the permission of each person in the frame. Under no circumstances is picture taking allowed during ritual.
- We set out a cauldron at Open Rituals seeking donations.
- Fire tenders must be over the age of 21. Only fire tenders are to feed the fire for personal safety.
- We include mention of the Host Congregation building and grounds workdays in our broadcasts.
- We publish a website which contains a main page, an Ordains page, a Leadership page, a page about what inappropriate posts, emails, etc. are, a Past rituals page, CUPPS upcoming events as well as other upcoming events of interest to Pagans and whatever we make decide to add down the line. Birch Von Baum will maintain the website with S. Kehrer and P. Brown as backups.
- We have a private Facebook Page which can be accessed by invitation only. Our Facilitator is the page administrator. Some members of the leadership are moderators of the page.
Posting and Emailing Guidelines
- Inappropriate posts would be ones considered (by a majority of people) to be insulting or degrading to a person or a group of people. Personal attacks are Inappropriate. Do not attack another person’s race, culture, skin color, sexual orientation, gender identity, way of dressing, or anything else. Attacking another person’s religious path is also Inappropriate. Speak your truth, however, be nice about it. We reserve the right to immediately any inappropriate posts.
- Political postings are discouraged because they are apt to start arguments. Posts soliciting money for any political campaign or party are prohibited.
- If you want to put up a post soliciting money for any other reason it must be cleared by the CUUPs Leadership Team. This includes Go Fund Me’s of any type.
- Bringing personal arguments and relationship disagreements onto the CUUPs FB pages or other public CUUPs forums will cause those posts, emails, or other communications to be deleted and both parties will be spoken to and may be barred from attending CUUPS for a period of time or permanently.
- We send a weekly email describing events and presentations.
- Our mailing list is blind and private.
Links to Continental CUUPs Mission and Vision statements: